There is nothing quite like the experience of intense digital surround sound while you watch the latest actionMonitors'>computers.
* '''Power:''' A receiver should be powerful, meaning that the wattage should be high enough to produce enough sound to fill a room. For example, the wattage should be at least 50 watts for an average-size room and more for cranking the volume and listening to a lot of bass. Watts per channel (4, 6 or 8 ohm) for speaker output is another important factor as are the speakers
* '''Speakers:''' For optimal surroundLogic, which is perfect for home theater models. Keep in mind that they need to be compatible with the receiver (impedance, or number of ohms, must match up).
* '''Amplification:''' There should be no noise or distortion created when you pump up the volume and set the base high. A clear, crisp sound is a sign of a good quality receiver. You may still need a separate amplifier
* '''Tuner: '''Most receivers have good reception for FM signals; however, most don't pick up AM signals very well.
* '''Features:''' Check for a CD/DVD players
, for it to live up to its full potential. Check the input/output ability of your other units before committing to a receiver. If your other components have coaxial or optical wiring, then your receiver must have it as well.
Features vs. Cost
These are the most important factors to consider when buying a receiver. Generally speaking, more expensive models will have more features. Before you buy, decide which features are most important to you and set a reasonable budget for those features. Don't spend a lot of money on features you don't really need just because they sound good on paper.
* '''Basic Model Features'''
** Least amount of power, but usually enough for decent audio sound.
** Frontgames'>video games, etc.).
** Depending on the model, you may be able to have direct input digital AM/FM tuning.
** Usually even the most basic models have a headphone jack and phono input jacks.
** Minimum 2 year parts and labor warranty on most models.
* '''Enhanced Features'''
** More input/output availability equals improved versatility and more compatibility.
** Svideo inputs let you connect various components through your receiver to link up with your TV.
** Depending on the model and if it has a remote, you may be able to have direct input digital AM/FM tuning.
** On screen display.
* '''Topthe Line Features '''
** Most powerful.
** More channels.
** The greatest number of s-video inputs and inputs for video components.
** Most have an on-screen display.
** Some have direct digital AM/FM tuning.
** Compatibility with all of the following: Dolby Digital and DTS (Digital Theater Systems) decoding, Dolby Prosignal processing (DSP) modes.
** THX compatibility.
Latest AV Receivers
Related Buying Guides