The reasons to have a fabulous at-home wedding are endless. Whether you love your childhood home, you want to have a more intimate affair or you're simply trying to save some money, at-home weddings offer a great setting to declare your love for your spouse-to-be. They also help cut down on planning time and can allow everyone, including the bride and groom, to be a little more relaxed--if they're done right. Keep reading for tips on how to pull off the perfect at-home ceremony and reception .
Holding your nuptials at home requires a lot of the same planning a normal wedding would, with a bit of a twist.
- You need to be sure you have enough space and seating for your guests, which often requires renting chairs ,tables and linens . Don't bank on using your furniture for guests, and remember that you need enough room for everyone to stay inside should the weather take a turn for the worst.
- It's obvious that your guests will need a bathroom--especially in light of all the yummy food and drinks--but will your home bathrooms be enough to accommodate them? The rule of thumb is one bathroom for every 50 guests. But your best bet is probably to just rent portable restrooms , even if you do have enough in your home, so people don't need to trek in-and-out throughout the day.
- You can do your own decorating to keep things easy and cheap. Replace your light bulbs with more soft, romantic lighting , buy fresh flowers a local garden market and create centrepieces that are practical, like colourful pitchers .
- If you have pets that aren't participating in the ceremony, or pets that are bit mischievous, you may want to consider boarding them today so you don't have to worry about their whereabouts.
- Just because you're celebrating doesn't mean everyone else in the neighbourhood wants to hear it. Check about noise ordinances and let your immediate neighbours know what's up--you may even consider inviting them to the reception.
- If your reception's outside, spray for insects and make sure your guests have a flat place to dance.
- Why not add to the intimacy of the affair by sending out handwritten invitations with personal notes to each guest? Or go one step further with the personal touch and make phone calls to each invitee!
- Make your guests feel cared for by having professionals man the buffet, grill and/or bar. Make sure guests don't have to clean up after themselves either; have a wait staff ready.
- Just because you're holding the wedding at your place doesn't mean you have to do all the planning. In fact, the experts recommend get a wedding planner to help you run things so there's a bit more room for relaxation and fun on your part.
- If you're holding the celebration in an apartment, consider having a simple cocktail reception over a full meal that may require too much cooking space.
Need help planning the other details of your special day? We have more tips coming your way.