Bike Shorts Buying Guide
, whether you are a man or a woman.
* Everyone has a style they like more than another. Try out a few pairs and see which you like best.
* Some long rides might be better with less padding, such as a thin chamois, which tends to shift less and wick better than other type of padding.
* For short rides, a gel padding might do the trick, offering a more comfortable fit, but with less protection.
* Most bike shorts are made of a breathable, wicking material that will help draw moisture away from the body.
* They may be a combination of polyester, spandex or other synthetic materials.
* Avoid materials like cotton that absorb moisture.
* Look for leg grippers, which help the shorts stay down on your thighs rather than riding up. They are usually made of a sticky rubber material.
* You'll notice that bike shorts are cut low-rise; shorter in the front, and high in the back to suit a bent position.
* Look at the number of panels the shorts. The more, the better, assuming that more panels is synonymous with a better fit and more precise contouring.
* Everyone has a different body shape, thus some styles, no matter how contoured, still won't provide a great fit. Try on as many pairs as you need to until you find the one that fits best.
* Choose an elastic waistband over a drawstring.
* It should be wide enough so that it feels comfortable and snug, without constricting.
* Since you don't wear underwear under bike shorts, they usually come with a liner. The right liner is very much a personal decision. However, chamois is a popular padding fabric used in the lining of bike shorts due to its shock-absorbing and moisture wicking properties.
Men's vs. Women's
* Remember that bike shorts are not unisex. Men's and women's shorts are designed differently to suit each body type.
* A few things that you might want to know about women's bike shorts is that they are cut higher in the waist and wider through the hips.
* Women's shorts are also cut a bit higher than men's.
* For female triathletes, look for triathlete suits
Basic Bike Short Styles
Popular Bike Shorts For Guys
Popular Bike Shorts For Girls
* Pearl Izumi