Body Wash and Shower Gels Buying Guide
Showering doesn't involve the standard bar of soap any more. There are a huge variety of shower gels and body wash on the market. How do you know which one to choose? Rather than getting lost at the sight of bottles in every shape and colour, it's best to take a step back and figure out what you really need your body wash to do.
How to Choose a Body Wash or Shower Gel
- If you have any allergies or sensitivities to a particular ingredient, brand, or fragrance, read the labels to make sure the body wash you buy is safe.
- Buy according to your skin type. Don't buy a shower gel that is for dry skin if you have oily skin!
- Products that use antibacterial medication or salicylic acid are excellent for fighting breakouts. These body washes can also be helpful to remove excess oil if you have naturally oily skin.
- Moisturising washes are best if you have dry skin. Look for emollients in the ingredient list and avoid heavy detergents such as sodium laureth sulphate. You may also want to try a product with glycolic acid in it or one with a grainy component since both act as exfoliants. Even if you usually have normal (or even oily) skin, winter can be harsh on most of our bodies. Look for a moisturising wash for the winter if you notice your skin lacking its usual moisture.
- Hypo-allergenic washes are a must for those with sensitive skin. Also look for products with the least amount of fragrance in them. The gentler, the better. You may even enjoy exploring organic options that shy away from using harsh chemicals and overbearing scents.
- Find a scent you like! This is the part that's the most fun. Usually people tend to like certain types of scents (ex: florals, spices, fruits, etc), so finding out what scent category you prefer in a body wash is a good starting point. You may end up preferring an entire brand's line of scents, and you may like one brand's "mango passionfruit" but not another's. Experiment! Find sample sizes if you can, then buy a larger size when you are sure you like the scent and results of a certain product.
For this resource in your home country, please see:
NL: Badschuim Shopgids
NL: Bodywash Shopgids