Bridesmaid Dresses Buying Guide
It has been said that the role of the bridesmaid dates back to pagan times, set in place to lure evil spirits away from the bride. The point was to surround the bride with "look alikes," thus confusing the demons and saving the wedding. That's a pretty big responsibility. These days, we don't necessarily choose bridesmaids based upon superstition, but rather we choose the women that we love the most to stand by and support us on our big day. However, if warding away evil is your master plan, you can always dress the girls in a hideous fuchsia frock that is sure to frighten away even the Devil himself.
A Few Tips
The options for wedding themes are endless and so are the options for bridesmaid dresses , though there are a few factors to think about when choosing what your favourite ladies will wear. Keep in mind that you, as the bride, do have the final say, but it is nice to take the bridesmaids' skin tones and shapes into consideration. Once you have an idea on what kind of dresses you like, ask them for opinions on colour or style, but be warned that you can never make everyone happy.
- Body Shapes and Sizes: Even if you love that tight-fitting pink dress , it may not look flattering on some of your girls. You will want them to look beautiful and they will want to feel the same; do everyone a favour and find a style that is flattering for all, or work with a bunch of different styles in coordinating colours.
- Colours: Base your colour scheme around the season and theme of the wedding. It is best to keep light colours with the warmer months and richer hues in the autumn and winter. Neutral colours such as black ,grey , and shades of beige will work all year long.
Dresses By Body Type
We all come in different shapes and sizes. Check out these tips to keep your bridesmaids looking their best.
Dresses By Colour
Choose a dress colour according to the theme and season that you will incorporate into your wedding décor, invitations, etc. Look at our guide on Seasonal Weddings to spark your imagination.
- Spring and Summer: Warm weather brings with it fresh air, fresh flowers, and fresh life. Look to nature for inspiration.
- Pastels: lavender ,rose ,pale blue ,periwinkle ,peach ,soft mint green ,pale yellow
- Brights: Fuchsia ,bright pink ,aquamarine ,tangerine ,lime green ,bright yellow
- Autumn and Winter: Look for deep colours with rich hues or jewel tones.
- Neutrals: Appropriate for any season and any climate.
Dresses By Fabric
These popular fabrics have been pleasing bridesmaids and brides for years.
- Chiffon: Dresses of lightweight chiffon often come layered over an opaque layer. Their breezy and light style makes them perfect for spring and summer.
- Iridescent Organza: One of the most popular materials lately, iridescent organza dresses come in many fun colours and have a subtle feminine sheen.
- Satin: You can find satin bridesmaid dresses in almost every colour, which is always a perk. The down side is that the fabric highlights every curve and may make some bridesmaids feel self-conscious.
- Silk Charmeuse: Dresses made of silk or charmeuse give off a drapey, flowing feeling to any dress. Often coming in rich colours, this fabric is perfect for autumn or winter weddings.
- Taffeta: Dresses of taffeta have a rich look to them, but can often be very heavy in material. More material equals more money, making this choice pricey at times.
Dresses By Style
If you know the colour or material that you want, but you aren't sure of what style to go for, allow us to help with some top choices.
Use our guides to help you further plan out your wedding and your dresses!