Cooks and Chefs Knives Buying Guide
Cooks and chef’s knives are used to do different kitchen tasks quickly and efficiently. They are used for mincing, slicing, chopping vegetables and slicing meat. In order to increase the efficiency of chef's knives, some knives come with differential sharpening along the length of the blade. The fine tip of chefs knives are used for mincing, the mid-section is used for general cutting, chopping and slicing, while the back of the cutting edge is used for heavy-duty tasks.
Different Types of Cooks and Chefs Knives
- Paring Knives: They are small knives with pointed blades. They are used for peeling and cutting fruits and vegetables.
- Utility Knives: These medium sized knives come with plain or serrated blade. They are used for cutting meat and large sized vegetables.
- Cook's Knives: Widely used by chefs, these knives come in various sizes. They are used for crushing garlic, chopping fresh herbs, cutting meats and vegetables.
- Bread Knives: With serrated or scalloped edges, these knives are ideal for cutting breads and also tomatoes.
- Filleting Knives: They are used to remove the skin of fish. They have a long blade that moves easily along the backbone of the fish.
- Boning Knives: Having rigid handle, narrow blade and sharp point, these blades are used for removing the bones of poultry, meat and fish.
- Carving Knives: These large knives are used for slicing thin pieces of meat and poultry. They come with smooth or serrated edges.
- Meat Cleavers: These large, rectangular knives are heavy and are used for cutting meat and bones. They are used to prepare meat from carcasses.
- Chinese Cleavers: A Chinese chefs' favourite, these multi-purpose knives are used for mincing foods, crushing or chopping garlic and ginger and chopping vegetables and meat.
- Wusthof Classic
ShopWiki Search Links