The love for fine cutlery is synonymous with love for good food. Seasoned chefs, budding cooks and foodies display their knives, forks, and spoons with pride and maintain them with care. Be it fine cutlery on your table or utility knives in your kitchen, they always come in handy.
Usage of Knives
* '''Chef’s Knives:''' Slice, dice, mince, and chop with chef’s knives. They vary from 5-14 inches. The ideal chef’s knives are 8 inches in length.
* '''Santoku Knives:''' Japanese Santoku knives have shorter, lighter and harder blades that are good for making thin slices of sushi or cutting vegetables.
* '''Serrated Knives:''' A knife with serrated edges cuts into harder exteriors and then into the soft exteriors just right. This is a bread knife.
* '''Paring Knives:''' Paring Knives cut and peel fruits and vegetables which are perfect for garnishing and salad dressing. They are 2-4 inches in length and are all-in-one knives.
* '''Utility Knives:''' Multi-utility knives that are 4-7 inches and longer than paring knives are a good addition to the kitchen.
* '''Cleaver Knives:''' A specialty knife for cutting meat and through the bones. The length of the blade is a handy 6 inches.
* '''Carving Knives:''' Poultry, roasts, ham can be carved using a carving knife. The flexible blades cut into the smooth flesh of poultry and ham well.
* '''Boning knives:''' Boning knives remove bones from meat.
* '''Fillet knives:''' Filleting is done using fillet knives. The blades are usually 6-11 inches long.
Spoons to Scoop
Whether you are scooping ice cream, measuring a teaspoonful of sugar or ladling out soup from the bowl, spoons are cutlery you cannot do without. Some of the spoons that are used in the kitchen are soup spoons, tablespoons, dessert spoons, and teaspoons.
'''Style and Quantity '''
Antique cutlery is a collectible and also the highlight at many parties. Placing cutlery is an art that adds to the decor of your dining room. Have adequate cutlery to suit your family dining needs. If you host of many parties then make sure you fill your cutlery requirements for the entire guest list. Add extra cutlery to various courses of the meal.
Knives made of high carbon steel are rust and corrosion resistant and can hold a sharp edge. They are strong and resilient. A Knife made of stainless steel is less expensive but does not hold a sharp edge effectively. Ceramic knives are durable and stay sharp for a long time. Titanium knives are good rigid knives. Blades can be forged or stamped, which affects performance.
'''Spoons and Forks'''
Spoons and forks are made of stainless steel, silver or nickel plated in silver. Though they all have a common functionality, variation is part of the decorative value. Silver is expensive and adds to the decor of the kitchen or table. Nickel plated cutlery gives the desired look of silver at a lower price.