When we choose a watch we want something versatile. They should be appropriate for use at home, on holiday, at the office, etc. You don't want it to be too complicated (or maybe you do, you big nerd), but with all the other exciting gadgets out in the market, watch companies are starting to learn they can't make them too simple.
Before purchasing a watch you consider for what you're going to be using it for. Is it simply to track time, for running and training, or is it for style?
- Stopwatch : Racing against the clock? Best your last time by setting your digital watch for a new record.
- Pedometer: Technology just keeps expanding to be multi-faceted. Nike + iPod and mobile phones have a tracking device for running that can even upload stats to your Twitter account. Watches needed to amp up for competition so they track your exercise, too. Garmin has a watch that can upload the data to your PC called the Forerunner .
- Indiglo : This is a form of back lighting so you can read your watch in the dark. You just press the button and tah-dah! Blue glowy goodness.
- Weather Updates: You don't want to be caught in the rain without your coat and wellies. This is why something like the Oregon Scientific Weather Watch can come in so very handy..
- MP3 Player : Some watches will actually store a few gigabytes of music. These may not be as big as MP3 players but will definitely be lighter to carry with you on a job.
Style is important to us, the shallow, so consider how the watch looks and what it will offer.
- Binary : These watches are not made for convenience but they always look cool. Think sci-fi and cyborg technology and you've got the idea.
- Sports: Many of these watches can track time, distance, speed and heart rate. These are also often built durable and waterproof, so you don't have to be as careful with them. Some good brands include Adidas ,Nike and Casio .
- Minimalist : Not all people want the gadgetry, just something that tells the time. A minimalist style digital watch is the closest you'll get to an actual analogue without it having to be adjusted or reset.
- Jumbo : These watches are not only made easy to read but can be water resistant . Jumbo watches are not the best choice for people with small wrists, though.
- Metal : Timex has a whole lot of stylish metal watches that come in an assortment of colours. Some are even adjustable .
- Vintage/Retro : These watches are cool. They have the big LED screens . They're a tech geek's dream.
- Surfer : Surfer watches are cool in the sense they'll also include moon and tide graphs .
- Analogue/Digital Combinations : These are for the people who just like having the aesthetic analogue face but want the digital features.