Dogs, especially puppies, are playful creatures. It is very wise to invest in a few dog toys because if dogs get bored they usually opt to chew on your good shoes rather than turn Lassie and save little Timmy from the well. Choosing the right dog toys, however, is very important. The wrong dog toys can be dangerous to your pooch, even fatal! Take dog toys seriously and keep Fido safe and healthy.
How to Choose the Right Dog Toys
- Safety should be your first concern, of course. Toys with small parts are a no-no. When toy shopping, take a close look at the toy and think about your pooch's teeth (if it is a puppy, think about his teeth when he's full grown) and strength. Is this toy going to be torn into pieces that could be choked on or harmful if ingested? Look out for loops and ropes that could wrap around your dog's neck.
- Buy for your dog's size. Toys usually come in small ,medium , and large sizes. Sometimes toys can be found for extra small or extra large dogs. Buying a toy that is too big or too small for your dog could either be overwhelming (if it is too big) or easy to choke on (if it is too small).
- Observe your dog. Does your dog like to chase things or chew things? Figuring out what your dog likes to do will help you find a toy your dog will enjoy and not just stare at blankly.
- Soft stuffed animal-like toys are hit or miss. Some dogs are gentle enough to have these toys (I had a Saint Bernard who would use her stuffed fleece bone as a pillow), but others will destroy these in 30 seconds or less. Not only will there be a lot of stuffing and fuzzy material to clean up, but the small pieces are dangerous to your pooch.
- Sneak in something healthy, sort of like how they sneak vitamins into snack foods now. Many toys are designed to promote healthy teeth and gums. Try to have at least one dental health toy around. Having toys that encourage your dog to run around and get exercise, such as a ball or Frisbee , helps your pooch stay in shape.
- Get a few interactive toys. Frisbees and tug-of-war toys are great to encourage bonding among man and canine.
For this resource in your home country, please see:
FR: Jouets pour animaux
NL: Hondenspeelgoed Shopgids