Even in the digital age, Laser fax machines are the fastest, but they are also the most expensive.
* '''How fast should my fax machine be?''' Transmission speed is important, especially if you need to send many faxes. About 3 seconds per page is considered top575'>Brother 575 (around $60). Fax modem speed is measured in bps (bits per second) and usually come in 9600, 14,400, or 36,000, which is the fastest. A faster speed on your end means less costly faxes, which is especially important if international faxes are a regular part of your business.
* '''You say you want good resolution... '''Resolution is measured in dpi (dots per inch). The more dots, the better the resolution. However, depending on your needs, you may not want to shell out for photo quality printing. 4800x1200 will create very sharp photos.
* '''Don't forget about memory!''' At some point, your fax machine is bound to run out of paper. You can't afford to lose important faxes while reloading the paper tray! Fax machines have integrated memory; that is, they can remember where they left off printing so that they can start up at the same spot. You can also program many fax machines to save all your faxes to memory while you are out and opt to print them when you return. Minimum requirements are around 512KB but more expensive models offer from 8-16MB, which save more than 400 pages.
* '''Automatic Document Feeder''' (ADF) This is very important if you want the ability to insert your fax and walk away. Feeding 30 pages one at a time is time-consuming and, frankly, annoying. ADF takes care of this for you. Most can handle 10 to 20 or even 30 sheets at a time.
* '''Flatbed Document Scanner''' This allows the user to fax or scan documents (like receipts or photos) that are not standard letter size without worrying about the machine jamming or damaging the document.
* '''Phone Features''' ones is that the user has a phone system already. You do not need a separate line.
* '''Multi Even dedicated fax machines have some copying abilities. Most fax machines can make up to 100 copies.
* '''Size Adjustment Capabilities Some fax machines allow for making reductions as low as 20% and enlargements as high as 400%.
* '''Wireless Capability''' end multifunction machines have integrated wireless technology, meaning a simplified office network.
* '''Computer Compatibility one, make sure you buy one that is compatible with your computer.
Dedicated Fax Machine (Inkjet)
Dedicated Fax Machine (Laser)
Cost And Maintenance
Those on a tight budget should also consider the costs of consumables beyond just the upfront price of the machine. For example, you will almost certainly need to buy replacements for your toner or ink cartridges. While laser fax machines and toner cartridges are generally more expensive than inkjet fax machines and ink cartridges, they also tend to be more efficient, so the cartridges do not need to be replaced as often.
It has been said that if the price seems too good to be true, it just may be that the machine is poorly made. Cutting costs on quality may be frustrating in the long run. Depending on your needs, buying a high quality machine with fewer functions may be a viable option.
When you buy your fax machine, you should also find out how long the warranty lasts. A 1day warranty is considered risky. Since many frequent faxers have come across technology glitches, make sure you hold onto your warranty no matter what make or model you purchase.