Buying Guide for Heart Rate and Fitness Monitors
Fitness monitors are specially designed devices that help one to bring efficiency in your daily workout regimes. Now you can keep track of your heart rate, distance or speed covered, blood pressure, pulse rate and fat lost and also use the information for tracking and analysis.
Types of Heart Monitors
Heart rate monitors are designed to measure heart rate in real time or record heart rate for later study. Based on their forms you can wear them in different modes.
- Basic heart monitors :These are simple, entry-level heart rate monitors that feature extra large display and one-button functionality for ease of use.
- Advanced models :In addition to heart-rate information, these advanced monitors also provide post-workout feedback. These are wireless, coded chest-straps monitors that also come with optional foot pads to measure speed, distance and cadence.
- Women’s heart rate monitors :These are available in both full size and mid size models. Designed especially for women, they come in fashionable colours.
- Heart rate monitors for weight loss :These specialised heart rate monitors also offer features for weight loss management. They usually have large monitors to display calories burned and also provide heart rate training zones for burning off body fat calories.
- Wireless chest-strap monitors are accurate and quick devices that transmit signals to a wristwatch receiver.
- A fingertip sensor looks like a wristwatch and requires one to press buttons to view the heart rate. Although, reading on a fingertip sensor is less accurate than the wireless chest-strap version.
Types of Fitness Monitors
- Pedometers :These small, compact and lightweight monitors are suitable for walkers and joggers. They are worn on the hip and are designed to give accurate measurement of steps, distance and calories.
- Fat Loss Monitor :Used for measuring body fat percentage and BMI, these fat loss monitors are easy to use hand-held devices.
- Blood Pressure Monitor :These monitors are used to measure blood pressure, pulse and to detect irregular heartbeats.
- Oximeter :These are suitable for high-altitude mountaineers, hikers, skiers and bikers. Oximeter fits on a finger and helps to measure oxygen saturation and pulse rate to warn the onset of altitude sickness.
Brands of Heart and Fitness Monitors