Colanders and Strainers Buying Guide
Colanders are bowl shaped utensils with holes on them used for draining water out of food such as pasta, vegetables and fruits. Colanders are usually made of light metals such as aluminium and stainless steel but few plastic models are also available. Strainers, on the other hand are a mini version of colanders. Strainers are smaller in size compared to colanders and are also used similarly.
Different Kinds Available
These utensils are available in various sizes.
- Pizza and Pasta Colanders: Colanders used to drain pizza and pasta are mostly conical in shape with single or double handles. They are available in stainless steel or plastic materials.
- Fruits and Vegetable Colanders: Stainless steel fruit and vegetable colanders are strong and sturdy and help in draining water after you wash fruits and vegetables. Also available are some models which can be used for boiling too. They can be kept inside stock pots or pans. They are ideal for both domestic and commercial use.
- Coffee and Tea Strainers: Stainless steel and plastic tea strainers are available. They come with strong handles and they are highly durable and long lasting. Some of the models come with a thin white cloth that accompanies the funnel for additional filtration. Some other kinds
- Butter Muslin Cloth: This cloth is very helpful in straining, steaming, preserving and cheese making. They are washable and reusable.
- Jam Straining Sets: Jam straining sets are ideal for straining jams, jellies, juices and soups. They can be positioned on their flexible legs onto the sides of a saucepan or bowl. The food is then poured into the bag to strain. The sturdy nylon straining bag is reusable and can be washed in warm soapy water.
ShopWiki Search Links