Kid's Summer Camp Supplies Buying Guide
It's finally summer, and your kids have been bugging you to let them go away for camp. Are they ready? More importantly, are YOU ready? Knowing what to expect can strongly influence what you'll need to buy and pack, so there are several things to consider before taking the plunge and sending Junior away for the whole season.
- Will your child be attending a day camp or a residential camp? Clearly, packing for a day camp experience is far more forgiving: if you forget something one day, you can make it up the next!
- How old/independent is your child? If your child is younger than eight years old, has not spend much time away from home, or is not quite used to doing tasks (such as picking out outfits or tying shoes) by him or herself, take baby steps. At this stage, a day camp might be more appropriate than a sleep-away camp, and it can serve as a good transition until a week away from home doesn't seem as daunting.
- Is this your child's first time away at camp? Regardless of how independent your child may be, the first time away from home can be nerve-racking. Make sure you pack some comforting personal effects (family photos might help too, but be aware that they might serve only to increase homesickness).
- What type of camp will it be? If the camp in question is arts- or theatre-focused, you will have a vastly different packing list than you would for that of a football or a sailing camp. Usually, the camp will send a sample list of must-haves to help you out.
- What is the climate/terrain like at the camp? If the climate is chilly or unpredictable, you'll need to take this into account. If a lot of hiking will be involved, it might be wise to invest in a sturdy pair of boots, a quality pack, etc.
In general, your child will need the following:
- Clothing: pants ,shorts ,tops ,trainers ,sandals ,jackets ,rain gear , etc.
- Bedding. Usually a sleeping bag will suffice, but at some camps, it may be possible to bring bed linens.
- Shower supplies: shampoo ,conditioner (or a 2-in-1 to save space), soap or body wash , a shower caddy , and shower shoes .
- Cosmetics: a toothbrush ,toothpaste , a hairbrush or comb .
- Towels and wash cloths .
- Sunscreen and insect spray .
Into the Woods
Other Useful Items