Mascara Buying Guide
Whether you are looking for extreme femme fatale lashes or a natural lash tint, mascara can be a great addition to any makeup routine. When used correctly, mascara can make your eyes pop and look more awake, fresh, and youthful. Many people make mascara their one and only part of their makeup routine. A quick swipe can be all you need to go from sleepy and plain to bright-eyed glamourous.
How to Choose a Mascara
- If you want a natural look, use your hair colour to determine what mascara colour to use. Brunettes and those with black hair will do best with a black mascara , while blondes and redheads should opt for a brown mascara . Colourful mascara shouldn't be worn with conservative outfits, but if you are just going out for a fun night on the town, why not try a blue or purple mascara ?
- Examine the mascara brush. If your lashes are naturally full and long, you'll need a thicker brush. Likewise, if you have sparse or small lashes, a small thin brush will suit you best. A tear-drop shaped brush helps curl your lashes, but not as well as a real eyelash curler does.
- You have to choose whether water-soluble or waterproof mascara is best for you. Water-soluble mascara comes off easily without makeup remover, which reduces the amount of rubbing you'll have to do around your eye area (which can lead to saggy skin). However, for occasions when it is likely that crying will be involved (a wedding or a tear-jerking movie, for example), water-soluble mascaras will leave you looking like a mess. Athlethes and those with oily skin should opt for waterproof mascara. Use waterproof mascara for occasions when it is likely that you will cry, sweat, get rained on, or be in the sun for long amounts of time.
- Examine the texture of the mascara. Those with naturally long lashes do best with thicker mascaras, while lighter mascaras suit those with shorter lashes.
- If you have a lot of allergies or sensitive skin, use a hypoallergenic mascara .
Types of Mascara
For this resource in your home country, please see:
NL: Mascara Shopgids