Lord, what fools these mortals be!-- Act III Scene II Line 115, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Also known as St. John's Day, Midsummer's Day is celebrated on 24 June to mark the summer solstice when the daylight is the longest. Although the celebration's origins have no religious affiliation, it does have Christian ties. For the church, the feast of St. John the Baptistis closest to the summer solstice, so it has become associated with that day. In its pagan origins it was merely a celebration of the sun and the opposite of the dreaded long and dark winter nights. Traditionally it is believed that mystical things are their most potent during this time and the holiday (especially its eve on 23 June) has become associated with fairies, magic, and mischief. Now, in most countries, it is celebrated with a festival of some sort with events such as fairs, concerts or fireworks . Midsummer's Day is a child favourite. Summer vacation has started and they can spend the entire day celebrating the warm weather. Here are a few fun activities to do this holiday.
- Picnics are always a fun summer time activity and a great way to celebrate Midsummer. The majority of establishments tend to be closed on this holiday, so a picnic is a great way to spend sometime with your family. Be sure get a picnic basket and check out our food and beverage guide to help create the perfect picnic.
- Bonfires are Midsummer tradition. In its pagan origins, they believed that since the sun got weaker (days got shorter) after this day, creating bonfires would help strengthen it.
- If you are having a bonfire look into getting some kindling, charcoal or candles .
- Barbecues are great in warm weather and are easier then packing up a picnic basket. If you don't have a backyard or want to use a different locations you should look into getting a portable grill .
- Canoe trips, raft races or other water activities such as tubing are also fun activities for this holiday.
- If its not too hot out, you could also play some out games in your yard or public park.
- Camping or hiking is also a fun activity for this holiday. Especially if you have a day or two to get away.
- If you wish to decorate for this holiday, flowers and candles make great decorations. Its all about summer, magic and nature, so use plenty of greenery and be colourful. Think mystical gardens with fairies.
Related Products and Guides