Nappy Rash Ointment Guide
Yuck! Almost all babies get nappy rash at some point, and when they do you'll know it. If the basic rash isn't treated, it can develop into something much worse! Luckily, there are a variety of nappy rash ointments out there to help alleviate the little bundle of joy.
How to Clear or Prevent Nappy Rash
Nappy rash is a skin inflammation and is simply caused by a reaction of the skin to wetness. A common germ called Candida is present on the skin and causes the thrush that becomes present. Many cases of nappy rash are mild and can be easily treated; occasionally, some conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, infections, and rare skin diseases can increase the pain and severity of the rash. We have a few tips to help clear up the common rash.
- Leave the nappy off as much as possible. Obviously, it can't be off all of the time, but letting a baby's bottom get some fresh air may be one of the best cures.
- Change the nappy often. Ideally, change the nappy as soon as it becomes wet. The aim is to prevent the skin from being in contact with wetness for a long period of time.
- Wash the baby's bottom with water only. Some soaps may irritate the skin even more, so simply water is best. Non-alcoholic wipes are an alternative for when you are out and about.
- Make sure the baby's bottom is properly dry. After washing, be sure that it is completely dry before putting on a new nappy. Pat dry with a towel instead of rubbing.
- Do not use powder. Talcum powder and others of this nature can actually irritate the rash even more. Avoid them until the rash disappears.
- Use loosely-fitted clothing. Do NOT dress your baby in tight-fitting trousers , as it will only increase the amount of moisture and worsen the rash.
- Utilise a nappy ointment. Rubbing a cream or jelly onto the rash protects the skin from moisture. Rub a thin layer on each time you put on a nappy.
Browse through our guides to help you with all of your baby needs!
a & d ointment a and d ointment acne acne cure acne ointment acne rash ad ointment baby face rash baby facial rash baby poo baby rash baby rash ointment baby rashes baby stuff baby's nappy bactroban ointment bepanthen bepanthen nappy rash bepanthen ointment betamethasone ointment betamethasone valerate ointment betnovate ointment calmoseptine calmoseptine ointment children rashes clobetasol ointment clobetasol propionate ointment corticosteroid ointment cortisone ointment cream eczema cutivate ointment daktacort dermatitis rash diaper rash diaper rash cream diaper rash ointment diaper rash treatment drapolene drapolene cream drug rash dry skin eczema eczema cure eczema ointment eczema rash elocon ointment eumovate eumovate cream face rash face rashes fluocinonide ointment fucidin ointment humidifier baby hydrocortisone cream hydrocortisone ointment medication rash metanium metanium nappy rash ointment mometasone furoate ointment mupirocin ointment napisan nappy nappy babies nappy baby nappy diaper nappy rash nappy rash candida nappy rash cream nappy rash creams nappy rash creme nappy rash ointment nappy rash picture nappy rash remedies nappy rash severe nappy rash thrush nappy rash treatment nappy rash treatments nappy rashes nystatin ointment ointment cream pregnancy rash protopic ointment psoriasis psoriasis ointment psoriasis rash rash rash babies rash infection rash medicine rash ointment rash treatment rash/skin rashes red rash relief eczema scalp ointment scalp rash sensitive skin care skin ointment skin rash skin rash treatment skin treatments steroid ointment sudocrem sweat rash toddler nappy topical ointment vitamins natural