Organic Skin Care
Ever increasing in popularity, organic skin care products can be a good option for people with sensitive skin or an aversion to the chemicals commonly found in mainstream skincare products. The production techniques used in the manufacture of organic skin care products is also more ecologically friendly than traditional cosmetic manufacture. Typically, organic skincare products do not include the sometimes harsh chemicals found in their non-organic equivalents. For the end user this should mean non-greasy, softer and healthier skin. Organic products are traditionally more expensive than their alternatives. However, users often find that they require less quantities of organic products to get the required result. You may find that although more expensive individually, over the course of time, organic products even-out compared with non-organic skin products as you don't use them as quickly. When a product claims to be 'organic', there should be minimal quantities of synthetics, parabens, synthetic fragrances, alcohol, silicone or colouring included in the ingredients.
Organic Labelling Standards
In the EU, there are strict guidelines to what products can be marketed as 'Organic'.
- Products whose organic ingredients amount to less than 70% of the total product composition cannot be used anywhere on the product packaging.
- If between 70% and 95% of the product is composed of organic ingredients, then the term 'organic' can only be used in the ingredients listing.
- If the product is 95%+ composed from organic ingredients, then the product can use the term 'organic' in its title.
Types Of Skin Care Products
There are a variety of common skin care product types with their own specific applications and results.
- Skin Toner: A liquid designed to cleanse the skin and shrink the pores.
- Facial Serum: Facial Serums contain nutrients which are designed to penetrate deep into the skin.
- Facial Moisturiser: Facial Moisturisers provide hydration to your skin, helping to prevent dryness.
- Body Lotion: Body Lotions hydrate and soften the skin. They can be used all over the body; hence their name.
- Facial Scrub / Exfoliator: Facial scrubs work by exfoiliating the skin, removing dead skin and leaving the skin looking brighter and clearer.
Organic Skin Care Brands
Popular Organic Skin Care Products