The great thing about being a kid is getting to learn about all the amazing things in this universe. From biology to chemistry to astronomy, there are oodles of fun and educational toys that focus on science and learning. Kids will not only have a great time playing with these products, but they will also learn life-long lessons. Parents and guardians can also take an active role in parenting by helping kids out with the science projects and using their new toys. In fact, when choosing science and discovery toys for kids, it's important to consider if the toy or kit will require adult supervision. If so, will the parent or guardian be able to take time out to participate? If not, perhaps a kit that a child can play with without the help of a grownup might be better gift choice.
Other points to remember when choosing science and discovery toys:
* Consider what the child will like, not what you find cool.
* Make sure it's fun and doesn't appear to be too much work. Use your best judgment about the child's interest in science and maturity to determine how much fun is enough.
* Don't choose something too easy. It should be age appropriate and challenging. If the toy or game is too simple, then what's the point? Children lose interest quickly unless they have something to keep them engaged and curious about the outcome.
* The toy should inspire and engage a child leaving him or her with plenty of questions.
* Try to get a toy or game that is an extension of what the child is studying in school.
All-in-One Science Kits
Here is a listing of some of the top picks for children by age. They are easy to buy and give because they come with all the necessary ingredients for a fun-filled science-oriented playtime.
Toys By Discipline
Sometimes kits don't cut it. That's when you need to get down to the nitty gritty. Which subjects does a child like best? Is he or she more of a dinosaur dude or a deep space diva? Below you'll find a variety of hand-picked toys that satisfy a child's toy needs no matter what his or her interests.
Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Beasts
Plants and Insects
You can use any of the ideas on this page to come up with your own homemade science kit that caters to an older child's different interests. (The Web is a great resource for finding science experiments, too). Simply use your imagination to figure out what will spark a child's interests. Remember that while kits and activity sets are the perfect all-in-one product for simple gift giving for younger children, don't forget the other science oriented toys that can grow with a child for years to come.