Outdoor and Garden Guide
Gardening is an entertaining and rewarding experience, not matter what your skill level is. Whether you are heading outdoors to cultivate an elaborate garden or just looking to provide the proper environment for the small plants you keep inside of your flat, this guide can help with everything you need to improve your gardening skills or learn some new ones.
Picking which plants to put in your garden can be difficult, considering there are so many to choose from! If you aren't sure what the difference is between annuals and perennials, don't know how to prepare a flowerbed, or can't decide if you want to an herb or vegetable garden, these tips can help you.
- Flowers: Some flowers flourish easily and some are very stubborn no matter how much work you put into them.
- House Plants: Making plants part of your indoor décor is great if you plan to take good care of them.
- Vegetables: Avoid pesticides and steep market prices by growing your own vegetable garden.
You can't garden without the proper gardening supplies. If you're unsure of what you'll need to properly tend to your garden, this list can help!
- Fertiliser: These supply plants with nutrients and improve soil fertility by maintaining your garden's balance of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Garden Tools: No matter the size of your garden, in order to dig, weed, prune, or cultivate, you need a good set of tools.
- Insect Management: Insects can result in a dead or unsightly garden. Keep them under control with pesticides or natural pest control methods.
- Mulch: Placed over the soil, this provides a layer of protection for your garden by retaining moisture, reducing erosion, providing nutrients, and suppressing weed growth. Colored mulch can also be used to beautify your garden.
- Weed Control: Weeds feed off the nutrients of everything you are growing in your garden, which results in wilted, scrawny, or dead plants. There are many ways to controls weeds, however, so don't worry about them taking over your garden!
There are certain pieces of equipment that are crucial to maintaining your garden's aesthetics as well as the healthiness of the plants. Pick up these tools for all your cultivating, watering, and trimming needs.
Garden Care Tips
- Designs: Add your own personality to your garden! Though a garden design is unique to every individual garden, there are a few general rules to follow. See these links for some ideas or get your imagination going by checking out our Guide to Theme Gardens.
- Pests: You can be sure that insects will always follow plants. You can't possibly fight them all away, so you will have to pick your battles.
- Safety: We know the importance of being safe in all aspects of our lives; make sure to avoid hazardous habits in the garden.
- Seasons: Whether racing the first frost or taking a break from those hot humid days, the seasons play an important role in keeping the health of your present and future garden.
Despite having healthy or colorful plants, gardens can look quite drab. These accessories can spruce your garden right up by adding just the right amount of flaire while remaining pretty and practical.