Forks and Frames Buying Guide
When looking at a bicycle the forks and frames look very prominent apart from the wheels. Bicycle frames and forks are the stronger parts and take the weight of the riders that they are normally made from various materials including aluminium, steel, carbon fibre and titanium.
Types of Forks
- Rigid Forks for mountain bikes are very simple in their design, light in weight and requires no maintenance.
- Suspension Forks offer great suspension range for race bikes and for cross country short travel bikes as they are equipment with a technology called air damping and are light in weight. Free ride and downhill forks are oil dampened and with springs that they can take big hits casually and easily.
- Modern forks for road bikes can upgrade the bikes easily making them very responsive, comfortable and light. They are most often made using carbon fibre and come with damping properties built in them for soaking vibrations and bumps from roads.
- Forks for BMXs are capable of taking great beating even when slammed hard on the floor, when grinding, performing tricks and jumping. They are light in weight but very strong.
Choosing Suspension Forks for Mountain Bikes
- You need select between air sprung and coil forks as coil forks are capable of sustaining huge impacts and are reliable while air sprung forks weigh light.
- Movement is the next important selection factor. When going uphill the movement should be less while going downhill there should be more movement. There are certain designs which enable adjusting these two movements with the help of a knob.
- Forks which can be adjusted for varied bounces would be the right choice.
- Forks that enables to adjust sagging and lockout would also be great.
Types of Frames
- Mountain bike Frames include suspension frames, jump frames and hard tail frames.
- Road bike frames are useful frames for cycling across the country side.
- Triathlon bike frames are useful for professional cyclists who are a part of triathlon events.
- BMX frames are for performing tricks using your cycle. They support your weight and provide for good performance.
Selecting Right Type of Frames for Bicycles
- Certain important factors determining the choice of frames and forks include performance, budget, terrain suitability and comfort.
- The size of the bike depends greatly on the size of the frame and they should be selected in correct size matching the rider.
- The bike’s frames are made of various materials. Carbon fibre bicycle frames are strong yet very affordable and are very popular among bike enthusiasts. Persons who can spend more for durability and sturdiness can buy frames made of titanium but they can weigh less that the main tubes need to be combined with carbon forks for comfort and easy handling.
ShopWiki Search Links