Valentine's Day for Singles
If there's one thing that we are sure of in life, it's that we need food ,water , oxygen, and each other to survive. Sometimes we lose the last part, getting caught up in work and our own preoccupations, which is why society has set aside the fuzzy warm holiday of Valentine's Day to brighten the humdrum of winter. Though the cynical may look at this day as a commercial holiday filled with pink sugar-coated superficiality, we should all bear in mind that celebrating Valentine's Day is about more than simply being paired up with another person. So for all of the singles out there, look at February 14th as a time to start spreading some love to yourself and those that you care about the most.
Enjoy Your Family
- Valentine's Day is a great time to connect (or reconnect) with the family. Send out some cards to Mum and Dad and maybe even your little sister too. Everyone likes to feel appreciated, and it's the perfect opportunity to let them know that you care. You may want to buy or send your parents a gift to show your love. Chocolates are always easy and a framed photo is sentimental, but you can get some tips and ideas from our guide on Valentine's Day Gifts for Parents.
- Think about hosting dinner for your family. Cook a favourite meal and enjoy the quality time together.
- Call back all of the people you have been meaning to phone lately but never got around to. This lifts your spirits immediately!
- Invite friends over for a singles dinner party ! Drown your sorrows together with a good bottle of wine or celebrate your friendships with a champagne toast. Either way, you are bound to enjoy yourself and you will be helping other singles feel less lonely at the same time.
- Get your friends together and make plans for a night out on the town. You may want to avoid places where many couples will be frequenting, such as gourmet restaurants or movie theatres . Stick to pubs and clubs, as there will be singles to meet and hang with. Dress to impress! Take some hints from our Winter Style Guide.
- Have a movie night in! Rent a comedy and invite your mates over for a night filled with laughter, popcorn ,candy , and drinks .
- Spend the night in and give yourself a make over. Surely the cold wind, the snow, and the darker days have gotten to you and it's time to revitalize. Take a bubble bath , eat some ice cream . Set aside a few hours for yourself for once and do what makes you happy.
- You can do things for yourself outside of your flat as well. Take a trip to the spa and get a facial, massage , or try out a new hair style!
- Clean out your closet now. Spring is right around the corner! Give away clothes that no longer fit you or that you haven't worn in years. Then treat yourself to a little retail therapy and pick up a few new items that you have been wanting.
Acts of Service
- Do something good for yourself and others by spending Valentine's Day with the needy or downtrodden. Think about visiting a hospital or old age home, as there is always the need for love and affection. Try giving roses to the sick or delivering teddy bears to an orphanage. You are sure to experience happiness and fulfilment.