Aftershave Buying Guide
After your entire shaving
routine, there's just one more step--aftershave .
Aftershave will help to remove all remaining residue from any shave lubricant
that you used. It will also help to close your pores. Aftershave is especially important if you have nicked yourself or managed a razor burn, since it's soothing qualities will help to alleviate any pain. By replenishing moisture, aftershave will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to go.
- Get the right kind for you skin type. There are many different types of aftershave to choose from. There are lotions ,balms ,gels , and liquid toners . Try to steer clear of those that are alcohol-based since these tend to dry skin out and cause irritation to worsen. If you have oily skin or you need an antiseptic for your cuts, then alcohol-based is okay, but try to use it as a spot treatment only. You can then use a moisturising balm afterwards.
- You should especially avoid using alcohol-based aftershaves if you have sensitive skin. Instead, look for a product geared towards sensitive skin and for treating razor burn .
- If you have normal to dry skin, opt for a standard balm or toner. These will be lightweight but not drying.
- If you have acne-prone, dry, or sensitive skin, you might want to stay away from products that give a 'tingling feeling'. These will overdry your skin and you don't want that. Look out for ingredients like camphor ,menthol ,clove ,eucalyptus ,peppermint , and balm mint .
- Don't blow the bank. Most products contain the same ingredients. If an aftershave seems ridiculously high priced, chances are it is. Check the ingredients to make sure you're getting what you pay for. If it's all alcohol, don't buy it.
- Be careful with fragrance. While fragrance may seem like a good idea, it dries out the skin, so you may want to skip it. If you don't wear cologne, then you may consider choosing a product with a fragrance to give you a light scent. Still, you might want to skip it all together and use a moisturising alcohol-free aftershave with a sepreate cologne afterwards.
Product Reviews and Ratings