Corkscrews Buying Guide
A corkscrew is a handheld tool that you will require to open wine bottles or other alcoholic beverages that are closed by a cork. A corkscrew has a sharp coiled metallic helix also known as the ‘worm’. The worm is attached to a horizontal handle. The handle has to be firmly held and inserted into the brittle bottle cork such that the corkscrew movement gets aligned to the movement of the cork. Once placed firmly, the corkscrew has to be unscrewed to open the bottle.
The simple horizontal handle of the corkscrew is sometimes replaced by levers that reduce the force required to insert the worm into the cork.
Types of Corkscrew
- Wing Corkscrew: A wing corkscrew or a butterfly corkscrew or the angel corkscrew has two levers on both sides of the worm. The levers are raised when the worm is twisted into the cork. Pushing down the levers draws the cork from the bottle in one smooth motion. The central shaft of the wing corkscrews serve also as regular bottle openers. Corkscrews of this design are commonly seen in household bars.
- Sommelier Knife: A sommelier knife or wine key is a folded corkscrew similar to a pocket knife. The arm is leveraged against the lip of the bottle to remove the cork. A mini hinged knife blade is provided along the handle to remove the foil that wraps the neck of most wine bottles.
- Twin Prong Cork Puller: Prongs of the twin prong cork puller are twisted in between the cork and the neck of the bottle. This helps to pull out the cork from the bottle. Twin prong puller or the butler's friend can also be used to screw the cork back into the bottle.
- Lever style Corkscrew: You will just have to clamp the opener on the bottle and let the levers do all the work.
- Waiter's Corkscrew: Mostly used by waiters, it is a slim and comfortable one to carry in one’s pocket. The worm (screw) and the small knife are tucked safely away.
- Twisting Pull Cork: This corkscrew has a circular rim that you need to place over the lip of the bottle. This centers the worm over the cork. You then begin twisting the handle on the corkscrew.
Stainless Steel Corkscrew :
Combining function with simplicity, this handy corkscrew has an ergonomic grip, preventing any unnecessary slips and spills.
Happy Man Corkscrew :
Not for everyone, but this gadget might make a fun joke gift for your mates with a sense of humour.
Campagnolo Big Corkscrew :
It has large screw that is made of hardened steel and the two levers pull out the cork form the bottle.
ShopWiki Search Links