First Anniversary Gifts
It is the first of what will hopefully be many happy years of being together. What is the right gift to get your husband or wife? When you are stuck for ideas, let the commonplace gifts go, put off particular interest gifts until holidays and birthdays, and opt for something traditional. It makes the occasion even more special for both of you and will give you a clear cut way of choosing gifts into the golden years.
Traditionally, the gifts given for the first year of any marriage are supposed to be of the paper variety. The more modern alternative is clocks. Sounds bland, doesn't it? This is where you can personalize the gift to make it meaningful to your spouse. With a little bit of thought, paper turns into possibilities and clocks can capture time. Here are some ideas to get you started on the path to choosing a great gift for your first anniversary.
Paper is more than a blank sheet. It is a canvas for expressing how you feel about the other person. The emptiness that once existed is now filled with shared memories and vivid experiences that are all but white space. Paper is also symbolic of strength through unity. While the fibers that make up the paper are fragile by themselves, together they make a sheet of paper strong. Depending on your style and that of your husband or wife, there are several directions to take and these are just some places to start.
Other Paper Ideas
* '''Stocks''': Buying one single share of stock in a company or specialty that your spouse enjoys is practical and potentially lucrative. You may even choose a company which has special meaning to the two of you. For more information, check out gifts.com
* '''Sheet Music''': If your spouse loves music, get him or her their favorite music, or on the other hand, if you are the musician, play for your spouse.
* '''Road Map''': Sounds simple? Make this a gift that both of you will remember by planning out a road trip and giving the map to your spouse. Down the road you will appreciate the time spent together on the road, camping, sightseeing, or simply getting out of town.
* '''Cookbooks''': The ideal gift for the person who loves spending time in the kitchen. Or consider a food or wine guide.
* A paper box has infinite possibilities. Make sure that the box has a keepsake quality to it. Fill it with anything you think will make your husband or wife happy, whether it be gourmet chocolates, wine wine or champagne, or even cigars.
* Get a tree to plant together that will continue to grow with every passing year.
* A picnic with paper plates and cups. Find a romantic place and spend a sunset together.
Clocks are the modern approach to a first anniversary. Their meaning comes from this famous quote by Henry Van Dyke
, "Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity." While you could opt for a watch, which is equally as good, below are some other ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
More Modern Ideas
: Still a timepiece, but a bit more practical.
: A perfect gift for someone who enjoys nature, gardening, or spending time outdoors.
* For someone who is into sports, a heart rate monitor
with a clock on it might be a practical alternative.
* Mantel clocks
are stately, but smaller than a grandfather clock.