Sports Memorabilia Buying Guide
There are a number of sports memorabilia items available on the web these days. With both auction sites and retail sellers promoting the latest in autographed items and collectors' editions , finding an authentic yet affordable product can often be a difficult task. So no matter what sport it is that captures your heart, we are here to help you find the right object for your collection and guide you in making the best and most informed decision possible.
What to Look For
- Officially Licensed Products: An item is considered officially licensed when a professional athletic association (such as the NHL) grants a company permission to display team names, logos, and trademarks on their products. These items usually have a sticker or tag indicating which particular association approves and licenses the product.
- Limited Editions: Owning a limited edition piece of memorabilia indicates that only a certain number of the products were created or autographed.
- You should see two numbers displayed on an authentic limited edition collectible: a high number and a low number. The high number gives the total amount produced; the low number shows the number that you will have out of the total.
- A limited edition item is worth more when the number produced is low. This makes the merchandise rare and in high demand.
- Collectibles: The certified signature of a professional athlete indicates a piece of collectible sports memorabilia .
- For the item to be classified as "memorabilia", the autograph must be certified by a limited number of distributors. Signed replicas of authentic sports products are only considered "collectibles."
- Look for a signature on a ball ,card ,jersey , or any other piece of related sports equipment .
- Authentic Signatures: There are really only two ways for you to obtain an authentic autograph from a professional athlete.
- You can get it in person. Stand in line for hours and show your dedication!
- Purchase an autographed item from a well-known reputable company. Many companies have exclusive contracts with athletes where the player will actually be paid to sign items exclusively for this company. It is important to research which companies your favourite athletes hold contracts with; this can help you avoid the purchase of a forged signature.
- Many sellers will provide you with a certificate of authenticity upon your purchase. This ensures that extra protection in knowing that what you are getting is, in fact, the real deal.
Search by Type
Browse these categories to find the perfect addition to your collection... or purchase a great gift for the fanatic in your life.
Check out our guides on your favourite team sports. Pick up some team merchandise, equipment, or playing tips and history along the way!